View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 AM
MaryAnnMc

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

I have had two Kenmores in my married life, and was frustrated with both because I could never keep the tension right. It seemed like every time I sewed, the machines would mess up and I would have to stop and take it to a shop for repair. I was terrified of messing with the tension! It wasn't until I started quilting two years ago that I learned that it was needles, or thread, or fabric, or me... the poor machines had been taking the blame! They are terrific, sturdy machines and being simple and un-electronic, are great for new sewers. Now that I have a lovely vintage Bernina, I rip her apart frequently for cleaning and oiling (gasp!), change my needles, consider my threads, and play with the tension until it's just right. My last Kenmore is in the hands of a sewing newbie. She has little time to sew with five homeschooled kids, and quits in frustration because "The machine keeps messing up". Now I can smile and assure her it's not the machine, it's probably curious four-year-old fingers. Those Kenmores are a gem!