Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Dotty - a few years ago I started to 'spray baste' my quilt sandwiches together [I used '505' adhesive.] Man is that ever easy!! I usually get to the quilting soon after I do the spray basting, but I have had instructors who have left their prepared sandwiches for years before getting to the actual quilting [one said 5-7yrs!!] and it still held together. No more pins to put in..or take out! I have not hand-quilted anything that was spray basted and although the claim is it doesn't gunk up your machine, I do wipe the needle periodically when I quilt something that has been spray basted. I also spray VERY LIGHTLY, using more of a 'mist.'

When I took the hand-quilting class Andi's first step was to take some long basting stitches. I never asked her about spraying though. I imagine if you should only thread-baste your long arm quilter would be the way to go!! the alternative would be to quilt in sections

...and you are right....very quiet!! I think only you, Cindy, Katybob, and Gladys on a regular basis..... please chime in if I have forgotten the obvious out there
Gus