View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 AM
nnwalton2

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
This sounds like a simple question for someone who has been cooking for 50+ years, but how do you make real iced tea? I dislike the canned sweet tea we buy way up here in the north. I make a very good pot of hot tea but iced sweet tea has me baffled. It would be nice to have a pitcher in my fridge ready to drink, now that our hot and humid summer is approaching. Thanks everyone for the help.
I have one pan that is only for making tea. Fill it up with good (not faucet) water. The water you use makes all the difference and we have hard water here. Let it come to a boil. Then put in a Lipton 1 gallon tea bag (I get them from Sam's) and let it steep for 10 mins. Pour it into a pitcher that has some water already into and put it in the frig. Then when we want a glass - pour into glass and fill with ice. I only make unsweeten tea as everyone has a different like on sweetness. Also when we do go out to eat - we order unsweetened tea as most people/places like it like syrup. My mother in law would have a little coffee or tea with her sugar and we could not stand it. I usually make 1-2 gallons every day and everyone likes it. Good luck.