View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Tammi,

Harbor Freight has packs of rainbow colored heat shrink too. You can color code your wires if you want or make the job psychedelic looking ....... Just the thing for painted FeatherWeights.

Oh dear ..... Did I say THAT??????????

Joe
LOL! Yes, so does Princess Auto, I usually buy in red and black to mark positive and negative. And green if I'm working on a Honda bike. I use just a little of that on each end where the crimp is, then the black to make it look neater. Now if it was that really nice "Red Bull" blue, I'd paint a FW to match! (kidding! mostly.)

KAT - what Joe describes is exactly what I do with the connectors too. I find a lot of times when you crimp the connector, the plastic insulation doesn't fit anyway, so I remove them, crimp the wires, solder them, and shrink tube on top. That may make me a little anal too according to Joe's description. Just slide a length of the shrink tube on -before- you crimp and solder (for the last join on each wire, the first one won't matter, because the wires are unattached on the other end), and be sure it's as far from the soldering iron as possible because it will melt and shrink if it takes too long for your soldering iron to heat the wire enough for the solder to melt.