View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM
irishphoenix

Originally Posted by SuperiorThreads View Post
@Irishphoenix, MasterPiece is designed to be a piecing thread, (we called it master'PIECE' to have a fun play on words) but the 3-ply version can be used for FMQ. If you look at your spool of thread, it will have #50/2 or #50/3 printed on the spool. We changed MasterPiece to a 3-ply thread over a year ago to add strength when FMQ. We have many lines of excellent FMQ threads available in Cotton, Polyester, & Silk! We've developed a great guide called 'Thread Selection Guide' which will identify which line of thread you want to use for which purpose.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/media...tion_Guide.pdf

When we are stitching with MasterPiece at home, I set my top tension to be around 3.0~3.5. I rarely go as high as 5 on any of our threads. I override my automatic tension as well. This allows me so much more room to play with the threads. We also recommend using our Topstitch #80/12 needle with MasterPiece.
Here's a video clip from 'Thread Therapy' in which Bob Purcell (President of Superior) talks about tension adjustments.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/video...ewing-success/

Please send us an email if we can help you any further. [email protected]
Hi Superior Threads,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to me about your lovely thread. As I said before, its is amazing for piecing.(oh yes, now I get the connection Master-Piece.lol)
The first think I noticed about it was its feel as soon as I took some off the spool,it has a lovely quality to it and I took your advice and looked at some of your videos, which are really detailed.
I am using the 50/3 thread. We dont have direct suppliers here in Ireland to the best of my knowledge ( I can buy Guttermanonly, locally)so I have started to buy my thread mail order from the UK..anyway I looked at the video and see that I have been putting the spool on the horizontal spindle instead of putting it upright,so along with altering the tension this could fix things.
I learned a lot from Bob Purcells videos and have used the Polyester Triobal with no problems whatsoever for FMQ.
I will try these adjustments and thanks forall your helpful links. Thanks again for your email link.
Lois