Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 PM
ArchaicArcane

*mumble mumble mumble* I lost a whole day fighting this machine. I timed it again, I just wasn't happy with the stitching, and wanted to rule it out for sure. No change, so I guess that's good, it wasn't wrong before.

• I tried Joe's old thread to set the tension. Tried to sew a strip to see what would happen. skipped even on the straight stitches on heavy fabric. Hmmm.. something's not right. It's going to be a long day, I can tell.
  • Went back to the Gutermann.
  • Looked at the thread path, the top guide (first one after the thread) was bent a little. Fixed that.
  • Felt like the return spring on the tensioner was too loose, so rejigged that.
  • Fiddled around a little with the position bracket, tried to get it to fit more like the one on the 411G, possible small success there.
  • Tried 80/12 Quilting needles, 90/14 Universal, 90/14 topstitch.
  • The 90/14 universal did the best on the heavy fabric - no skipping, the 80 and the topstitch needle both skipped something fierce. Interestingly, the TS needle skipped on both sides.
  • Tightened tension, loosened tension. Tightened presser foot tension, loosened it.
  • Checked and changed the bobbin case tension.
  • The needlebar looks like one screw and a little convincing. Does that sound right? I may look at it,.. uh probably thursday now.
  • The needle is maybe a žmm off on the left. Which is about 0.00984249 of an inch... it throws further to the right than the left.
  • Didn't have any of the sprays, so I didn't do that today.
  • I figured out that it skips stitches a heck of a lot less if I hand turn the machine.
  • It never skips if I take the bobincase out (i.e. the hook grabs the thread everytime)
  • the point of the hook in this machine looks ever so slightly longer than the other 4 that work (apparently there are 5 german Singers here, I lost track, much to DH's amusement) but carries the same part number - possible revision? The longer one is the older hook.

Thursday, I think I'll try Cotton thread, just to see if there's a better result. I don't believe in "My Machine doesn't like X brand of thread "on a well setup, serviced oiled and adjusted machine that has its tension is adjusted appropriately for the thread, but maybe I just met "that" machine.

Thoughts? This one is really beating me up so far.