Thread: Rv trips
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 AM
catmcclure

Originally Posted by Quilts rock View Post
My DH and I are seriously thinking of buying an RV and I would like any input, stories, or advice you may have. We went on one trip in a rented RV and enjoyed ourselves but did have some mechanical problems. My DH is very handy- thank goodness so he was able to manage them and says this wont happen if we buy one as he will keep it maintained. So, I would appreciate any thoughts you have on this.
Renting is always better in my opinion. You don't have to maintain insurance, deal with depreciation, or storage fees. How often would you actually use the RV. If only for a few weekends a year, it's not cost effective to buy one. Plus, when you're renting and the motor blows, you just turn it in and get a new one. Unless you plan to live in the RV at least three to four months a year (a few days or a week or two at a time), it's cheaper to rent. We had an RV, paid $1200 a year or more in insurance, $200 a month in principal and interest, $60 a month storage, and had to factor in replacing tires and maintenance. That amounted to about $5 to $6K a year whether we used it or not.