View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 06:38 AM
ShirlinAZ

I love my quilts but I do think they are to be used. When I was growing up (decades ago) our quilts were used on the bed in winter, pulled off to be forts during the day, and taken into the desert for picnics during the summer. Quilts were included in bed-rolls for camping and deer hunting. I still know how to make a quilt bed-roll that is as warm and comfortable as any sleeping bag. I made a red/white/blue quilt specifically to be taken to picnics. DH was horrified when I loaned it to DD to take to the park for DGD to sit/play on. He doesn't understand that quilts are to be used. Oh, and we used them for packing blankets (not for rocks though) because we wouldn't trust our valuables packed in anything less! LOL

I suspect those quilts (cheap prints or rescued from thrift stores) were being used because someone paid big money to have lichen-encrusted rocks carefully moved from their natural habitat to the yard of a very expensive home that was getting "natural" landscape. Lichen, that green crust on rocks, takes thousands of years to grow. That truck driver was carefully protecting part of our past.

Last edited by ShirlinAZ; 05-08-2013 at 06:45 AM.