View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
irishphoenix

Ha yes I know what you mean about the little irregularieties on the rear of the quilt..oh how I wish mine looked perfect lol I have never tried the Superior bottom line on mine so it is worth thinking about- I have only used a matched thread top and bottom. When I first started to get problems with my machine and this thread, about a week ago,I changed from a 90/14 to the 80/12 both are Schmetz. I always used 90/14 for FMQ before with the Gutterman and the Poly, both were OK
I havn't heard of the Titanium needles till now. I know Superior do them. Would anyone recommend a particular needle for FMQ using cotton fabric and cotton batting?

I am also beginning to wonder about taking in my machine to the dealer. I bought it just 18 months ago but he said it wouldnt need servicing for 2 years..but I think its like cars, you sort of know when you hear the car engine change that something is wrong. In the past my lovely girl always lets me know when the bobbin needs cleaning- she doesnt sound as nice, and feels a bit sticky on stitches if you know what I mean!!
I have cleaned out the bobbin area twice, changed needles and also changed out the 80/12 Schmetz and inserted a new one just to be sure. As soona s I change over to the Gutterman she sews fine but of course the Gutterman is a thicker thread..possibly a problem in the mechanism of the machine with a finer thread? Maybe she needs oiling on the inside or a bit of fine tuning is all I can think of apart from the tensioning.