Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 PM
bpeace4u

Originally Posted by treadlep View Post
So, that is my Richmond treadle in the picture you found, so you probably also found my previous posts that show my cabinet that is different than yours, and that have info I had found on my research. I wanted to let you know that this machine takes a non-standard sewing machine needle size: the eldredge needles are a bit longer than the normal 15x1 needle. However, I have been successful using standard 15x1 needles that are not inserted all the way to the top of the needle slot. The old eldredge needles are hard to find. I found some at a local sewing machine shop, but none since, and there were a few with the machine when I got it. I have one needle marked with a sharpie that serves as a guide to mark 15x1 needles, so I know how far to insert them.

The paperwork with my richmond indicates the same department store in New York. My machine belonged to my great grandmother, and later some great-aunts who lived in a small town in upstate New York near Cooperstown. After her last sister died, my grandmother went back to close out the family home, and the treadle was shipped to me in California when I was in my twenties. I have had it since the late 1980s, it works great, and as you can see it is in very good shape. I keep it cleaned and oiled since I did an original deep clean, and use it on occasion.

As far as age, my treadle base has a wooden footman, which others on this board say indicates the machine is pre-1900. That would make sense based on my family history timeline, and I would guess it entered the household sometime in the 1890s to early 1900s.

Enjoy your treadle---mine seems pretty indestructible, so if you've got yours up and running that's a good sign you can clean it up and use it for years. I'm constantly amazed to look at the old richmond and know that it is over 100 years old!
Thanks. We received ours this past week. We knew it belonged to my great grandmother, but after receiving we confirmed put suspicions that it belonged to her mother, my great great grandmother before her. Someone else originally bought, but we are not sure whether it was in the family or if my great great grandmother bought it used. When my great grandmother died in 1991 it was supposed to go to my ,other, however a mixup ended with us only getting it this past week almost 22 years later. Mine isn't in near as good of condition as yours, most of he decals are worn off. However I sewed a little more on a quilt I have been working on today, and it sews great. I like it better than my modern singer.