Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
http://mysewingmachineobsession.blog...ening-and.html
^ Scroll down a bit and there's a little writeup about lapping a 301's needle bar to take out the high spot.

eta: Look real closely at all of the stuff in the bobbin case to make sure there isn't something in there that thread can stick on. My rusty 404 was a bit "grabby" after I picked out all of the lint that had rusted to it.

I am practically no help, but I try anyway. I will run this question past my mother the retired home ec teacher and see if she has a technique for dealing with these Slants.

Of COURSE you're helping! One of the things I love a forums (fora?) is that you can talk it through, and any little comment might light up the "aha moment"

I will definitely look at lapping the needlebar if it's not straight. I don't have a spare to work with, and I know what the supplier I use here in Canada will say if I ask them: "That's a very old machine...."

I can take the bobbin case out, switch it with another one, and it still skips. The hook area has been scrubbed clean with a tooth brush and a paint brush. I can't see anything that's causing it, but I think I'm too close to it now.

The bobbin position bracket looks "crooked" to me, compared to the other machines, and it's fully adjusted per the service manual, but the thread travels over there after the hook grabs it.. So I don't think it should be relevant? Unless the BCase is moving too much as a result.

The grabbiness can be fixed with a,.. uh, I think it's a scotch brite pad? (Used for pot scrubbing, some sort of plastic or such, not metal, green pad about 4x5") It will stay black and pitted, but the raised stuff will come off and it will be smoother.

I'd love to hear from your mom. I can't help thinking it's a setting / technique, etc, but of course I've had it all apart now,

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 05-08-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Bracket, not finger....