Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Tammi,

If everything else is the same from first stitch until the skipped stitch, I'd say that gear is slipping and throwing off the timing. Did you make sure you were retiming on a proper gear? Most retiming is done on the gears that have two set screws. If you retimed on a single set screw gear did you make sure that the setscrews in the gears were tightened down on the flat spots of the shaft. If you tightened down on an edge of the flat or on the round of the shaft the gear can move/ rock slightly.

Cathy
I checked all of the gears (but the vertical one, I can't get a screw driver on it without serious dis-assembly) and all were tight, with one on a flat spot. I did check the vertical one for slippage. If it is, it's moving with more torque than my fingers could put on it.

I did time from the gear right below the hook, because the feed dog timing was correct. I usually time at the back end (2 screws) when the FD timing is off too.

I did a cursory look at the needlebar last night, it looked like it was timed right. Perhaps the things that are left -are- the big things and I haven't missed the small things? Needlebar and hook?

I should mention that I knew the machine was skipping stitches when I bought it. I also knew about the needle strikes on the bobbin case and the hook. I saw the slightly bent tip of the hook after I bought it, though. I believe the hook to be "fixed", but I'm thinking of pulling the hook from a 411G, and trying it to see if I'm wrong about the original hook. I will try the cotton thread first though.

It just seems to me that if it will sew on thicker fabric, it shouldn't be a "major" problem....? But "Denim or Heavier only" is not appropriate