View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 04:25 AM
DeborahH

Originally Posted by csharp View Post
No tote pattern...just took leftovers, made a rectangle, sandwiched it with batting and contrasting fabric, sewed it like a pillow case and turned it inside out, and finished the top, then quilted it with diagonal straight lines, folded in half, turned down the top, turned the corners in a little and stitched down, had added a wide strip inside for inside pockets before I sewed up the side seams and squared the bottom like you do for most purses. Added drapery pull backs for the handles, and reinforced the bottom with plastic canvas in a sleeve to make it sit well. Nothing fancy, and nothing too hard. Glad you liked it. Oh, the name of the quilt pattern was "warm wishes"...my strips weren't exactly as asked for in the pattern...I downloaded it from www.quiltmaker.com/patterns from the Nov/Dec '03 issue of Quiltmaker magazine they used cardinal birds for the insets, I used the masks. You may have to put "warm wishes quilt" in their search box for the free download. I sewed in some velco along the top edges to close the tote. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the directions and pattern info. You did a great job. I really want to try making purses. They look so much fun with all the different varieties of fabrics you can use together. You will have to let us know what your DIL says about her great gifts.