Thread: Rv trips
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 AM
pseudoquilter

Lots of good information on these posts. We have gone through 3 fold-out campers as our two kids were growing up then went for about 15 yrs not camping and missed it. We are on our 3rd travel trailer-24 ft Aerolite by Dutchmen. If you do shop for an RV sit on the toilet to see how much room you have, get into the shower/tub as some are downright treacherous to get out of esp. the older we get. The walk-around bed is a plus. My husband and I would never get a 5th wheel since they are not made for the older adult--to many steep steps for us. I back my trailer down our long driveway to store it, do most of the driving and can set it up and take it down by myself. My husband has health issues and I said I needed to learn this if ever I get stuck alone somewhere. Make sure the vehicle you have can tow the RV you are looking for, do not rely on the RV salesman since they will tell you a certain vehicle can tow the RV but they are going on the premise you won't be fully loaded. I argue with the sales people all the time and they don't like it, for instance they will have flyers attached to the RV showing a picture of a certain vehicle stating "I can tow this" when in reality it can't. Go by your vehicle's specs. I know my GMC Envoy can tow up to 5900 lbs. Go by the GVWR or the combined weight of the trailer and load capacity weight. We never fill our water tanks as it affects towing and its a lot of excess weight! We went through 3 trailers in four years trying to get the right one! Good Luck!