Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Sallyjane

Originally Posted by BrendaK View Post
I bow down to you. That is a beautiful quilt. I agree with everyone else. That one would have taken the blue ribbon if I was a judge. What a thrill! Was it hard to make? How long did it take? What is the name of the pattern? Please.
BrendaK
Brenda, I thought I'd already replied, but I don't see it anywhere. So, sorry if I am repeating myself. Yes, it was hard to keep track of the pieces, what goes where. If you make one, you'll have to come up with a system that works for you. I highly recommend you buy the book and also the pattern pieces that are printed on freezer paper. They are sold separately. It took me 2 years from start to finish, but I did not work on it consistently. I work full time, have 8 grandkids, our mother-in-law lives with us and we care for her....I made lots of baby quilts, etc. for gifts during that same time. I exercise everyday... So I really can not say how long it took, but isn't it that way with most project? I rarely work on one thing from start to finish. Anyways, here is the info I submitted with my quilt:
St Mark’s Wall Hanging

I am fascinated with illusions in quilts, so when I first saw this design, I knew that I wanted to make one for myself. The St. Mark’s wall hanging, one of the quilts from Nora McMeeking’s Bella Bella Quilts: Stunning Designs from Italian Mosaics, is usually made with 3 or 4 different fabric; the rainbow of colors was my choice. I started this wall hanging in the spring of 2011, using the traditional paper piecing method. When I was about one third of the through the medallion wedges I saw a tutorial on “paperless piecing” and switch methods. The quilt was a lot of work, but the paperless piecing did make it a bit easier and I would recommend this method. I think this is one quilt that will stay at our house instead of being given away like most quilts I make!