Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 PM
kaleda

Default Need help stabilizing an envelope quilt for shipping to DIL for hand-tying

I'm a very inexperienced quilter and would dearly love some advice from the wonderful QB treasure trove of expeienced quilters! I have machine-pieced a 65" x 85" quilt top for my son & Daughter-in-law. My DIL wants to hand-tie it as her contribution to her family's picnic blanket. She also wants it sandwiched/constructed as an envelope and without binding.

Once I sandwich the top, batting (Quilters Dream Green) & backing, I have to turn the HUGE envelope right-sides out. How do I keep it from shifting all over the place while being transported from AZ to WA? I'm concerned about the seams getting twisted out of place (and, all my pressing being ruined) when packing it up for transport. We're probably going to fly to WA and I doubt that the TSA will allow it on a plane with scads of big safety pins in it...

I've wondered about spray basting the top to the batting and then simply laying the backing (right sides together) on the pieced top before sewing the edges closed and turning it right sides out. This way only the backing would be loose before tying. Would the spray basting hold-up to being folded for a long period while being boxed & shipped or jammed into a suitcase?

I'm reluctant to hand-baste the whole thing because that seems to me, like tying it twice...

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Kathleen

Last edited by kaleda; 05-09-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: redundancy