View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 PM
cricket_iscute

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Will the machine move or is it stuck and won't move by turning the hand wheel? Remove the needle from the machine. Try moving the hand wheel toward you, don't force it, and see if there is some movement in the bobbin case. If there is a bit of movement pull up the latch on the case so you have something to hold on to, then move the hand wheel while pulling the case straight out. You may have to move the hand wheel back and forth a couple times but it will eventually let go.
Good advice. Most Pfaffs, especially those early Pfaffs, can get the smallest bit of thread or lint in them, so small you can barely see it, and - ka boom! - no more sewing. In fact, I have one on my bench like that right now. Get out your magnifying glass and your best tweezers and see what you can find. You are looking for a very small piece. You probably have to take the needle plate off, and if all else fails, the feed dogs as well.

Don't think of blowing air in it, as that drives dirt deeper, but you could vacuum the area.

I do NOT think it is a timing issue. It sewed fine before and that indicates the timing is fine. (I don't know everything but I am a certified sewing machine mechanic and I work on many machines. Timing is almost never the problem.) Are you using the correct needle for both the machine and the thread and fabric?

Oh, don't ever use your Pfaff for bobbin work, where you put specialty thread in the bobbin. Ask me how I know!

You can find more information on a yahoo group called oldpfaffforum. You need to join it. They might have a manual. Look in the files.

Your Pfaff is worth the effort, IMHO. I have a Pfaff 130 in pristine condition and it free motion quilts very well.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 05-09-2013 at 02:07 PM.