View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Traditional Quilter

Roc Lon Muslin is a very good muslin with a 70 +/- thread count. Joann carries Roc Lon, but their muslin is not the 70 thread count -- I think it may be considerably less than 60 which is why it costs less there. You can find Roc Lon on line. However, I agree with the other ladies that Kaufman Kona, Moda Bella are great cottons for wholecloth. They are both 60 count and your should get some nice hand stitches on them. I just bought a Michael Miller solid for a crib wholecloth that I love the sheen. I haven't hand quilted on it yet as I'm still designing the quilt. A number of the British and Welsh wholecloths are made with cotton sateen. I haven't quilted on it but my research tells me that if you want your stitching to show, that's the fabric to use. Of course, it's more costly than Kaufman or Moda. I have some cotton sateen that I plan to make another crib quilt. If I like it, I may use it for a king wholecloth. If I'm going to put that much work into it, I want it to look the best I can make it.