Thread: Why is it??
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 10:15 AM
TX_Cutie

Charlee wrote
"The old snag in this shop informed her that "this is a REAL quilt shop, and REAL quilt shops don't carry solids." :shock: Peggy asked if that was something then, that she would have to pick up somewhere like Joanne's. OMG! You'd have thought she'd asked the woman if she was wearing panties that day! She had a sarcastic remark for Peggy, who left the shop nearly in tears... we don't go back there at all...."
I had a similar experience at the LQS near my house. I was getting to ready to buy a new machine and stopped in to see if they could share some general knowledge with me about Brothers. I also wanted to see their notions and fabric set. I was immeidately assisted by an older man and when I told him that I only wanted to spend $200 he looked aghast and in a VERY rude tone said "OH. Well those are cheap machines and we don't carry that. If you buy a machine at a big chain store you'll get a cheap machine. I've got that one for $199." He then pointed at the entry level Singer machine that sells at Walmart for $79.99.

He made me feel inferior and unwelcome. I will never return there.

I love quilting but I do find that there is a certain segment of snobs that look down upon the economy quilter like myself. I quilt for fun and pleasure - I don't need to know that my quilt top was made of high end artist designed brand name fabric and batting made from sheep sheared a mountain in the himalayas. :)