View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Yosamitesa

Default Grandmother's Quilt

My grandmother is an amazing and phenomenal woman. She has been through so much in her life. On December 1, 2012, she and my grandfather celebrated 69 years of marriage. In April they both entered the hospital sick. On April 24th, 2013, my grandfather passed away. On April 25th, 2013, she went home and prepared to bury her husband. They were best friends. They were soul mates. They were what love is supposed to be, forever. This Sunday is Mother's Day. I knew there was no better way to celebrate her and to celebrate life than with a quilt of her own.

What started out as strip scraps...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412704[/ATTACH]

Eventually morphed and turned into something pretty and nice...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412705[/ATTACH]

However, I was not done there. It was pretty, but it needed something to personalize it and make it a little bit more feminine, so borders were added.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412706[/ATTACH]

The top was completed and ready to be sandwiched and the quilting was started. How do you quilt something like this? How do you find the right stitch? Sitting I thought about it for a while before pulling out my sewing machine book to look at the stitches. There it was, at the bottom...a "quilting stitch"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412707[/ATTACH]

After a couple of hours, the quilting was finished and the binding was done. I only shed a few tears while sewing this while thinking of my grandmother and my grandfather. He would have loved this quilt and been proud that his granddaughter made it with her own two hands. My grandmother will love it, but most of all, I know it will help keep her warm on those days that my grandfather would have done it. I'm so blessed to have witnessed such an amazing union between two people and the love that guided them through their lives together. So, here it is...my Grandmother's Quilt!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412708[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412709[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1-strips.jpg   2-top.jpg   3-borders.jpg   4-quilting.jpg   5-final-top.jpg  

6-final-back.jpg   7-final-corner.jpg