Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I didn't drop the needle bar - I just dropped the needle. I think I need to figure out how to center the needle first. It is off center - goes to the left. Then I'll check the timing. I don't think I have manual info how to center that beast though.
ahh,.. I get what you mean. Yes, I would center the needle first. That's how the 401s are done, I can't see that being an "anomaly". If the needle's not centered, where is it when the timing line is in place. I know you have that slant service manual, can you use it for reference, and look for mechanisms that do similar things?

Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
(giggles) Classic case of When in doubt, read the directions, lol. I have *no* idea why the others would be advanced. Maybe the others are all advanced but that 431G is just the one oddball that won't tolerate it. At least you have a happy ending. :-)
Pretty much. I have looked at that procedure before, and I remember looking at all of the slants at the time thinking,.. weird, book is not = to real life... I was starting to believe that too, but the first 431 (Lil' D that I got from vanginney) is timed like the rest. Just some tension tweaks left now, and it should be good.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Mine all sew - I'm not even going to look...
LOL! It doesn't change anything to -check- the tension. Either way, what Joe wrote below sure makes me think they're pretty forgiving, until they aren't. Looks like they'll sew advanced, right on, or even a little behind, which is way different than the Touch and throws I've timed.