Old 05-10-2013, 01:39 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Tammi,

The needles were to the timing mark on the up swing and the hook wasn't quite there yet.

On the 4622 the needle was on the up swing at about what you said when the hook got there.
I pulled the nose off of it and twisted my self this way and that using a flashlight and never could see timing marks on that needle bar. But there is so much sheet metal and junk under the nose of that machine I could have missed it.
All I know is all of these machines but the T&S have been used and sew nicely.
I haven't gotten to the T&S yet. It's next in queue.

Joe
Thanks for clarifying Joe.

I have seen a couple of the "newer" machines without timing lines too, or they're extremely well hidden. Maybe they figured that no one would bother re-timing them if something went wrong.

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Industry standards are to lower the needle to DBC (dead bottom center, aka it's lowest point). The raise the needle .092". The point of the hook should now be in the middle of the scarf, the cut out on the side of the needle opposite the long groove. On household needles that is the side with the flat. If it isn't then the hook needs to be rotated until it is. To rotate the hook, one usually needs to loosen set screws on the hook shaft, and then rotate the hook by hand.
Some machines need to have the hook tip very slightly before the scarf and some more into the scarf.

On Singer machines with the timing marks the .092" is when the bottom timing mark is just at the lower end of the needlebar bushing. Knowing that helps to set a needlebar that has been previously moved.

Cathy
Thanks Cathy, perhaps that's why when I googled the first time I set the timing on a machine, I saw 5/64s,.. 0.92 is between 5/64 and 3/32. (Closer to 3/32 though, which is what it says in the Slant Adjuster's manual now that I check again.)

Do you have any theories on why all of these slants (I should be more specific, it's 401As, 403As, 503Js, and 411Ds, and 431Gs) that I've had have all had what looks like very advanced timing, but seem to sew normally (the machine referred to in the original post not withstanding, of course.) It's always puzzled me.