Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Mizkaki

Tammi,

That is a good question.
For an exact answer I will have to think about it.
Quick answer: The instructions that I just gave Joe are for the tipical straight stitch machine. Zigzags have a timing error built in that shows up with every swing of the needle. This means that one needs to 'fudge' the .093" slightly (advance or retard the tip) to accommodate this error. In other words, the .093" is a starting point.
I have never had any timing problems with the 401 series of machines. Possibly we are seeing that the timing on your machines has been changes over the years by a local 'repairman' that didn't fully understand timing.

Cathy

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Thanks for clarifying Joe.

I have seen a couple of the "newer" machines without timing lines too, or they're extremely well hidden. Maybe they figured that no one would bother re-timing them if something went wrong.

Thanks Cathy, perhaps that's why when I googled the first time I set the timing on a machine, I saw 5/64s,.. 0.92 is between 5/64 and 3/32. (Closer to 3/32 though, which is what it says in the Slant Adjuster's manual now that I check again.)

Do you have any theories on why all of these slants (I should be more specific, it's 401As, 403As, 503Js, and 411Ds, and 431Gs) that I've had have all had what looks like very advanced timing, but seem to sew normally (the machine referred to in the original post not withstanding, of course.) It's always puzzled me.