Old 05-10-2013, 04:17 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
If the feed dog timing is off set it now. Put the stitch length to it's longest setting. The needle should enter the fabric just as the teeth drop below the needleplate.
All the rest is in the order listed in the adjuster's manual, but what about feed dog height? Would you want to know that they were set at the right height before setting the timing? In theory, if they were too high for instance, they would be "up" a little longer, or is it not noticeable enough? I haven't had to time the dogs any of the time I've set the height, so I hadn't noticed.

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Tammi,

That is a good question.
For an exact answer I will have to think about it.
Quick answer: The instructions that I just gave Joe are for the tipical straight stitch machine. Zigzags have a timing error built in that shows up with every swing of the needle. This means that one needs to 'fudge' the .093" slightly (advance or retard the tip) to accommodate this error. In other words, the .093" is a starting point.
I have never had any timing problems with the 401 series of machines. Possibly we are seeing that the timing on your machines has been changes over the years by a local 'repairman' that didn't fully understand timing.

Cathy
Ok,.. this I get. And I've met a couple of the repairmen around here too. I can see how they might not fully get the timing. Some of them don't rebuild tension either. I know that there were at least 2 different repairmen involved with these machines (repair stickers from different shops )

I guess in a perfect world, I should re-time all of these properly, eh?

Here's a statement I heard from the Singer repairman before they moved East. It always struck me as a little wrong, but not completely, if that makes any sense. "If it straight stitches, and it ZigZags, it HAS to do all of the stitches correctly." I assume that statement means, barring a mechanical failure of the cam systems...

Thoughts?