Thread: rv ing
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 PM
icul8rg8r

I remember the day I became a "camper". My husband and I were newlyweds, just out of college, and moved "home" to his Puget Sound, WA. He said don't worry - he took care of everything - so we left on a Friday night and drove to the mountains. I mean way out to the mountains - where to paved roads turned to gravel and it was pitch black outside. Somehow we finally got to our destination and he pitched the tent while I got us some PB&J sandwiches to eat before climbing into our sleeping bags. It was so cold that night and I heard some pretty wild sounds. Woke up and had to use the bathroom - dear hubby laughed and informed me we'd look for the vault toilets in the morning. I was not enjoying myself and bit my tonge trying not to complain.

But then morning came....I could smell bacon and coffee....I unzipped the tent and had to catch my breath - I had never seen ANYTHING so beautiful - the sun shining on the side of the mountains lighting up a waterfall in the distance - the deepest bluest sky I had ever seen - the trees were the greenest green I had ever seen (not to mention the tallest!). The birds were singing so sweetly - I really thought this is what heaven must be like. And all weekend every turn I took I just couldn't believe the beauty.

I asked my husband to compromise, and for the first 5-6 years of our marriage we tent camped throughout WA, OR, ID, MT (only requirements - flush toilets and blow-up mattress). Year 7 or so we "upgraded" to a Coleman tent trailer but still did our cooking over the fire (there's just something about a dutch oven and percolated coffee that is unmatched!). Then about 6 years ago we upgraded again to a travel trailer. I sorta miss the places you can go with a tent that we're unable to go in a trailer. And wish the kids had the tent experience, too. But I'm too spoiled to ever go back - fridge, oven, microwave, flush toilet & shower, bunks for the kids - even a sleep number bed for me & DH! The kids love to hear our stories about roughing it in the wild. When we retire we'll probably upgrade to an RV and travel from coast to coast. Glad I was a naive newlywed and let myself try camping - I've been a camper ever since!