View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 AM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
great post. i can appreciate your opinions. Still, for me, the stuff nightmares are made from ;-) I remember walking through the woods when I was younger, and a snake fell out of the tree and hit me. lol, shocking to say the least. i was used to looking for them on the ground.

I have a couple more snake stories to share ;-) I've never killed one, but they have come close to killing me a couple of times, sometimes by close encounters of an unexpected nature, be still my heart.
wow...that would be more than just frightening. where were you? i see you live in northern CA now. i am not familiar w any species of snake that climbs into trees as they do in south & southeastern US.

i guess we all have our things that give us nightmares. tho i think the varieties and beauty of spiders is interesting. they are definitely can be the stuff of my nightmares. we humans have so much fun with jokes and movies of our more threatening fellow beings on this planet. lions & tigers & snakes & spiders oh my.

i have snake stories too. decided to go exploring one day...not dressed for the hills, but that is where i ended up. in shorts and flip flops...coming out of abandoned mine shaft, dog charging ahead as usual. just as i was about to put my foot down, paused at a sound, looked down - baby rattle snake skittering away as fast as it could. even dangerous creatures react in fear to the unknown. other than to eat, the only rattlers i have killed were in self defense of a sort...once irrigating olive orchard a small one just wouldn't accept my relocation attemps for it. once in my garden in the hi country of california mountains, coming home fr work late at night w flashlight in hand, there was a rattler who was almost every night warming himself on the back steps. on a day off, i removed that threat. was told then by locals to watch for it's mate. i never saw it. that was when i learned a most fascinating faq - rattlesnakes mate for life. wow.