View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 10:10 AM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I guess I just have to different, I always cut my stalks leaving about an inch above the ground. I have been doing it that way for the last 40 some years and haven't killed my plants yet. My Ruby Red always comes on first in the spring. I do remove the seed heads to extend the cutting season.
i love growing rhubarb, love letting it bloom...that flower stalk is gorgeous. have been collecting rhubarb recipes for decades. do NOT like rhubarb pie. but that is the ONLY thing i don't like in the world of rhubarb recipes.

i have read in garden books and told by old time gardeners that a young plant will do better & develope a stronger root bulb if just left to grow for the first couple of years, but i can never wait that long.

i pull and twist to harvest stalks, if it works great if not i cut below ground like harvesting asperagas. i also have read not to compost the leaves, but do, have not had any problems using the resultant mulch. i know they are toxic. but, whatever...doesn't seem to bother the worms.

have fun, enjoy - lucky you