View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 PM
DogHouseMom

Default Problem with a 15-91

Well ... another sewing machine "fell" into my car today. Fortunately, it's one I wanted Singer 15-91 dated to 1952 in a cabinet no less. I have a problem with it though (and was able to get the price lowered considerably for it!).

I can't get the balance wheel to engage from bobbin winding to sewing.

I DID figure out that it was missing the "stop motion clamp washer" and was lucky enough to find that sucker in one of the drawers of the cabinet (I was actually trying to source it on the net when my husband asked if I checked the drawers and ... lucky me!).

I'm sure I've got that in the right position, and I've got the knurled clamp screw mounted correctly with the stop screw is in-between two of the studs on the stop motion clamp washer. I can now get the knurled clamp screw to tighten, but I still can't get it fully engaged to turn the needle when I spin the balance wheel (it will turn the needle a few times then stop, then perhaps again ... not consistent).

I noticed that there is some "play" in the balance wheel. It will slide perhaps 1/8" in and out (meaning in the direction as if I was going to remove it ... not a "sideways" or "wobbly" motion, it's just not "tight" to the machine). Wondering is there a specific way that I have to put the balance wheel back onto the machine to properly engage the gears ... or is there something wrong with the gears themselves?

I think I need to take the balance wheel off again and check the textolite gear. I hope I didn't make matters worse.