View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM
provmomof5

Default free motion on the #1+

When I do free motion quilting, I use the "R" foot (the foot that we put on to do embroidery). I looked into purchasing the spring foot that is supposed to hop and grab the fabric, but the sales person told me that if I was successful with the R foot, then I should stick with that foot. Here's a couple of hints that I have found have helped me.

I set the speed to the lowest position - this makes sure that my machine doesn't take off and go to fast. It helps to keep my stitches even.

Make sure that you have lowered your feed dogs - I know it sounds obvious, but I've forgotten to do it!

I set my machine at a straight stitch. I haven't ever done anything with my stitch length.

This last time, I did set my sewing adviser for heavy fabrics - I was sewing a quilt top, batting, and flannel.

I set my presser foot just low enough that it almost touches my fabric. I want to be able to move my fabric freely under the presser foot, but I like the presser foot to be able to help keep my quilt from bunching up under the needle. If my presser foot is up too high, I have trouble feeding the quilt evenly.

I wear quilting gloves.......This last time, I couldn't find them, so I used a knit winter glove with non-skid "bumps" on the palm and fingers. This helps me to be able to grip my quilt and move it easily.

If you have an extension table, that is helpful. The only other thing that i can think of is that it is helpful to keep your quilt up on the table top, so that you don't have the pull of the weight of the quilt.

Hope this helps.........once you get it figured out, free motion is a lot of fun!

Originally Posted by annel View Post
I am new to the board. Thanks for accepting me. I am trying to learn free motion quilting and live in a rural area where there are no classes. I am spending a fortune on free motion feet with no good results. I bought the viking darning foot for my viking #1+ but am having no success using it. Today the spring thingy that fits over the needle screw popped off and I can't get it back on. Wasn't having any success with it there either. When I finally got a stitch I couldn't stop the quilt from bunching up. I have watched tutorials, followed instructions to not avail. Anyone out there with this machine who can help or should I just give it up? I have been sewing for many years--learned to sew using books--but this has me stumped. I am 80 so investing in a new machine seems to be overkill. Thanks Anne