Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Mizkaki

Tammi,

Is that a metal cam stack? If so, it's too bad that they mated it with a plastic gear.
That is quite a large crack. I bet it will just get bigger with usage. If you listen closely when turning the machine by hand I'll bet you can actually hear every time the smaller gear passes that crack on that larger gear. The teeth from the smaller one will probably slightly open up the crack with each pass, possibly making a tiny popping sound.

Cathy

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Gotcha I started checking gears because some of the Brothers I was getting had that plastic or nylon gear, and metal cams. Sure enough, the gear was broken. I was really surprised when the Galaxie sewed, so you're right the gear doesn't necessarily mean death for the machine. I'm not sure about this one though. Of course I found the crack after I'd cleaned up the outside and oiled part of the machine. I really have to start checking better first. I saw that crack, at the end of a frustrating day ( I think it was the first one I'd stated work on the 431, and decided to take a break and work on some instant gratification for a little bit. That backfired. ) and just threw my hands up in disgust and walked away.