Old 11-15-2009, 04:40 PM
jojo47

I took a Singer sewing course after I left home and learned the basics, and learned even more by reading books and magazine articles on the subject, and also by listening to others who sewed. I agree that many of the earlier patterns were easier to follow, and also agree that reading the instruction over before cutting is probably the most important step before cutting the fabric. As far as ease of understanding, my mainstays are Simplicity and McCall's, with an occasional Butterick thrown in.

As far as the amount of fabric...I buy what is suggested on the fabric envelope, and usually have waaay too much, since I'm a shortie, but since I like cottons, and bright colors, hey, I get to add to my stash with the leftovers!

The important thing is, take your time, read the instructions, and don't be afraid to ask questions if there is something you don't understand.

BTW, my biggest pet peeve was putting is zippers until I spent one whole afternoon ripping out and putting in one zipper! (Never mind it ended up on the right side instead of the left...it was in and that sucker stayed in!)
I'm glad I don't have to put zippers in quilts...usually!