View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Caswews

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
We all cook with different styles, tastes and needs in mind. What one person/family thinks as being the ultimate, another will say, huh?

Honestly, the best recipes are your own tried and proven recipes that are your own family's favourites. Learn what is important to change in your own style of cooking, and switch up those old favourites, accordingly.

Eg. butter is still "heart healthy". What is not, is gobs of it. Often time we can stick with the old recipe, just use less butter, and everyone will still like it.

Eg. salt is commonly accepted as not so heart healthy. Again, moderation is key. Salt is not the only way to get flavour in food. Look at other enhancers, particularly herbs, spices, etc.

Eg. more veggies are good when thinking heart healthy. The same old recipes can often be made, by doubling the veggies.

As a suggestion, you could request to meet with a dietitian who could help you understand your new concerns and how to adapt your cooking and menus.

Good Luck! to you and your husband.
Why Yes I agree.. its for an individual taste; but sometimes when one tries a new recipe that someone else thinks is tried and true; its a winner. I have met with a dietician (both in and out of the hospital) and she suggested the ask others what they have tried and liked then make it to see if we like it. Thanks QuiltE.

Last edited by Caswews; 05-14-2013 at 07:00 AM.