Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 AM
grant15clone

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Janis,

Grant,

In the 600 series possibly, but I had two 413s, a 457, a 518, and a 538 with plastic gears. They work but those gears are not near as durable as steel. Obviously.

Joe
Joe, My bad. I was trying to go by memory. And my memory can't be trusted. I know that I read something that told me the changeover to plastic. But like all things on the interweb, who knows if it was even true. Besides, I misplaced it. I will try to find that again. Maybe what I read was specifically for the Touch and Sew line only. That would make sense to me. This is a picture of a 603E. BTW, does anyone know what the "E" is for? I also have a 600E. As you can see it has metal gears.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]414018[/ATTACH]
And here is a Singer 778 with plastic gears and a belt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]414019[/ATTACH]
It would make sense that if it is in the T&S line, that the change from metal to plastic was in between these model numbers. UNLESS the higher end models had metal and lower end models had plastic gears. But that would go against what I read recently. I wish there was a list of machines that said if it had metal or plastic gears in them.
I am going to have to look into this more. I thought I had it down pat. If I can get a list together I will post it for all in it's own separate thread so it is easily accessed by anyone. I think that would be a great piece of reference material for a lot of us. Especially me that can't remember where I leave lists like this.
~G~
Attached Thumbnails img_9487.jpg   img_9445.jpg