Thread: Fajitas
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

QuiltQueen, I DO miss HEB!!! Might have to have some of those fajitas shipped to me....hadn't thought of that!!

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
Jan, your marinade sounds yummy. Will you share how you make it? Do you baste with it too?
I squeeze at *least* 3 limes (or lemons if I'm desperate and that's all I have on hand) and use about 1/4 cup 'W' sauce. That's it!! The lime itself gives a lovely flavor.

Put the juice, 'W' sauce, and sliced meat in a baggie and squish it all together and squeeze the air out.
Lay it flat on the counter and turn it over several times to redistribute the marinade during the 30-45 mins. when I'm washing and slicing and browning/sautéing (no marinade) the peppers/onions, making the salsa, laying out the dishes, etc.

IF I'm cooking on the grill -- which I rarely have the chance to do any more now that I'm alone -- then I do brush with marinade during the first part of the cooking. I stop basting with the marinade from the baggie in time to allow the meat and the wetness on it to be safely "done". Cooking really does not take long!

I serve this with Mission brand flour tortillas, a light spread of sour cream, lots of sauteed (no marinade) peppers and onions, several strips of the meat, spoonsful of salsa, sprinkle of salt, some grated “taco-style” cheese for those who want it (yuck on mine!), and plentiful napkins and beer!

I love food that’s fun to eat….like tacos, spaghetti, watermelon, pizza, fried chicken, ribs, fajitas……messy and fun!!

Somewhere on this site is my salsa recipe, but I admit it is not made with fresh-from-the-garden ingredients, though it is not cooked. Maybe we can convince Daisy Dew to give us hers!

Jan in VA -- heading to the freezer to pull out the fajita meat right now!!