View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Sandrea

Originally Posted by himnherr View Post
For the past 13 years I have shared my sewing space with our guest room. About 2 years ago I figured out that since we only have guests stay 2-3 times a year I could surely put that space to better use. My husband didn't want to give up having a "real" bed to offer, so he came up with this idea. He built me this Murphy bed and now I have room for guests & the rest of the time I have open space and a design wall that measures 62"x62". Pretty cool, huh!?!?

He isn't a "finish" carpenter but I think he did a great job. We ordered the mechanism online and he got busy. It lifts down so gently that I can do it by myself. The 2 outer handles become the legs.

I can't describe how exciting this has been for me. I couldn't wait to put my string quilt blocks on and now to rearrange them so there won't be big clumps of one color together. That's the beauty of a design wall, isn't it!? ;-)

I have a 5' table (folds in the middle) that I cut on that goes in front of Murphy and then moves over near my machine when I want to do quilting on my DSM.
Hi Himnher.....I did the same thing about 15 years ago. I couldn't see keeping a bed in the guest room for only a couple uses a year and I needed sewing room space. The only thing is, I tend to add more things, sewing table (2 of them) and a large cutting table and an extra dresser for sewing supplies and now when guests are coming to visit, I have to have hubby carry the extra furniture to the garage so we can put the Murphy Bed down, and then put it all back when the guests leave. LOL. But I really am so glad that we did the Murphy Bed thing. You and I can both agree, we have a wonderful sewing room after the bed is up in the wall. Tee Hee. So happy for you too!!!