Thread: Babylock Jane
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 AM
callie8799

Hi Texas Sunshine!
I have owned my BabyLock Jane for exactly a year this week- I really enjoy it and very happy I purchased it. Being a simple sewer (no embrodery, no fancy stitches, etc), my criteria was a large throat space (I want to start quilting my own stuff) and easy to use controls and have the needed feet be included. (My other criteria was price - but I was really naive in this area ( I thought I could get a new machine that meets my criteria for less than $400)

off I went to my JoAnn's (they have an Husquvarna store), and 2 local sewing machine stores to learn more. I was open to some bells and whistles . Anyway, I was impressed with most of the machines I played with but they were heavily computerized (I'm one of those people who sometimes prefer noncomputerized things for price of repairs) and I left wondering what in the world will I do with 400+ different type of stitches- is it worth the $1300 or more price tag? My last place I went to, I told the saleslady my thoughts about the multiple stitches and my other findings from shopping and she actuallly listened to my definite criteria and my future plans for sewing. She showed me the Jane- it is simple to use- it's mechanical (so no worrying about computerized failures), has an 9 or 11" throat ( I forget now). The price was $800 here in PA-more than I originally thought I wanted to pay but concluded I was not being realistic after some searching. The sales lady said she had the Brother 5100- exact same machine (made by the same company- just a different name and uses it on her frame. decided to get Jane and never regretted it (even if the price was double what I thought I'd pay). My old machine has enough fancy stitches (that I never used in 10 yrs) if I get the desire to be fancy at one point. And, I literally just got back from retrieving a new quilt from LAQ and I am going to start learning how to quilt my own stuff (not just stitch in the ditch) for I am not happy with the results.

I highly recommend this machine. Yes, it came with alot of feet- no need to purchase anything. I also like it that I could purchase a large cone of thread and use the cone on the machine. Easy to oil also and the directions are pretty well written with the illustrations that match the written word.

Deb

Last edited by callie8799; 05-18-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling mistake