View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 01:20 PM
MacThayer

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
I love auto pilot and the speed governor on my Brother. I use auto pilot (no foot pedal) when I'm sewing straight seams in strips, or doing SID. It takes a while to get used to, but it is so nice not to have to use a foot pedal all of the time.
I have a Janome MC9700, a thread cutter which I love, and the option to sew without using the foot. Like Ranchwife, I'll use the "auto pilot" when sewing straight seams, especially long ones, and doing SID. I also use it with some kinds of free motion quilting when I leave the feet dogs up. That way, my "stitch regulator" is essentially engaged, or it gives the machine a stitch regulator (not sure which), and my FMQ is steady with equal distance stitches. It really helps my shoulders because by doing it with feed dogs up and auto stitching, I"m not hanging on to the "sandwich" as hard. I can do FMQ with the feed dogs down and my darning foot, but it's hard on my shoulders.

I have two mini Aussies, and they love to "herd" me when I'm sewing. Nothing goes without their close scrutiny!