Old 05-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Sewnoma

It's linty but the price really can't be beat and the color selection is great. I've never had trouble with breakage.

I use it mainly for quilting when I want the stitches to show. Also great for doing decorative topstitching, and perfectly good for most piecing work. For really precise piecing or SITD quilting I prefer Aurifil because it's so thin, it can really vanish into the fabric.

I did some price comparisons at my local stores and calculated price per 1,000 yards of thread, just to see:
Aurifil locally goes for $11/spool, @1422 yds/spool that comes out to $7.73 per 1000 yds
Coats & Clarke machine sewing thread locally goes for $2.79/spool, @350 yds/spool that comes out to $7.97 per 1000 yards!

I was shocked that if I buy local, C&C actually costs me more than Aurifil - IMO Aurifil is the Cadillac of cotton thread but it's just a little too expensive for me to try to have a lot of it on hand.

CT thread, on the other hand, goes for $2.49/spool, and @1200 yds/spool that comes out to just $2.08 per 1000 yards of thread - less than 1/3rd the price of Aurifil or C&C. This doesn't include shipping, but who doesn't spend the $50 minimum for free shipping? LOL

CT cones, by the way, come out to $2.00 per 1000 yards, which also surprised me because isn't that much of a savings and they don't seem to come in that many colors. I love how inexpensive the smaller CT spools are - I can afford to have a literal rainbow of thread on hand at all times.