View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 12:42 PM
charkilah

Default Recommended book for a beginner?

Hello,

Since this is my first post, I'll introduce myself a little before I ask my question. I grew up watching my mother sew, and even made a couple of little bags with her. That was a long time ago, and I have decided to start anew. I have always enjoyed making things, and since my daughter was born I have had the urge to start sewing again. I bought a beautiful older Necchi Nora machine off of craigslist that just needed a little TLC. Well, maybe not a little. I spent an entire weekend with some rubbing alcohol, Q-tips, and a blow drier loosening up all the crusted old oil. The machine came with all the cams and accessories, and runs smooth as silk now. I couldn't be happier with the machine. The problem is the operator.

I don't remember a thing about sewing. I can set the tension, and thread the machine. What I don't know is what to set the tension to, or what needles I should be using for different fabrics, or what stitches/thread would be best for silk, or webbing, etc.

Does anyone have a book recommendation that covers these technical aspects of sewing??

Thank you.

Charlie

Here is a picture of the actual machine I got off of craigslist before I cleaned her up. I will post the cleaned pictures when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails necchi-nora.jpg