View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Tammi,

Go to :
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/4-Oi...e-Tools_c6.htm

Then to:
Tri-Flow Sewing Machine Grease VALUE size 3 oz. ( Upper right product on my monitor. )

Then read the notes:
"Not recommended for grease tubes or pots that lubricate motor bearings via a wick. Either use the Singer grease for this or petroleum jelly for those applications"

Also, read her Guide to Products for Oiling and Lubricating a Sewing Machine just below the notes.

.................................................. .................................................. .............

Since Vaseline Petroleum Jelly melts at a fairly low temp I'm wondering just how effective it will be as a motor lubricant.

Joe
Joe, the first quote is the same as I posted in reply #12. I have read the guide, but she makes no mention of synthetic products being bad, only not to oil/grease synthetic gears. Does Jenny have anything on her site that mentions synthetic grease being "bad"?

She's recommending petroleum jelly (Vaseline), as a replacement, as are people on the SingerSlantSewing yahoo group. If you are a member of the group, "Roy" posted about it on May 10th, at 9:13pm. He said that "Genuine Singer grease is indistinguishable from Vaseline!" No one refuted him, and on a list with that many OSMGs someone would likely have said something to "protect" us newbs.