View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 AM
catmcclure

Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
I will be having a large rummage/garage sale at my home in a couple of weeks and have a lot of quilting supplies to be selling. If you are going to a sale, what kind of prices would you expect to pay at a sale? I have been thinking of fabric 1/4 of retail, same with patterns and books. Most books and patterns have never been used. Is that still too much to ask, or do you think reasonable for a rummage/garage sale. I am getting my house ready to sell and having to do lots of cleaning out to downsize.
If you itemize deductions on your tax return, and your tax rate is 30%, you'd actually make 30% on your items if you donate them to Goodwill or Salvation Army and list the full retail price ($10 - $12 a yard). Same with the patterns. And, you don't have to deal with a garage sale. Can get the same deduction if you donate to a guild for Project Linus, etc., quilts.

That said, you'd probably do a brisk business online, especially with flat rate boxes. Most people would be happy to pay 25 - 40% for fabric and flat rate shipping too.