Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
krystyna as people are rallying around to send quilts and things to help in Oklahoma, Sikesjj lives right outside the city she is gathering quilts to hand out with her church to make sure they go to needy people not organizations per say.. what would you recommend that is most highly needed when you lose it all? I said underwear. new underwear.. jammies, clothing hair supplies what can people send that might be the best bang for what they can send? ps pm sikesjj and let her know too ok?
OK. Here is my recommendation of what is most needed although I doubt you can fit one in an envelope ... a little red shopping cart. Or in place of that, a luggage cart. Why? When you have no car and roads are impassible, you have no way of getting supplies back to wherever you've taken shelter. The Army and whoever will give out MRE's and Water and they are heavy! When you go to a distribution site there may be clothing, blankets, etc and you can't carry it all. As a tip to all of you who have not experienced a disaster ... add this to your preps!

Next: Depends. When there is no way to do laundry ... when there is nowhere to use a bathroom except a bucket or a darkened portosan, accidents happen while you're trying to balance and not actually sit down. Ask me how I know. One of the best things I got at the relief center was depends!

There will be plenty of bleach. Every time I turned around there was someone driving by with an offer of bleach. To the last person I said, "Thanks so much, dear, but this is so far beyond bleach it isn't funny."

Paper plates, utensils, cups and especially hot cups. I cannot tell you how desperate I was for a cup of coffee. One afternoon I found someone who had a Dunkin Donuts box ... but no cups.

I don't know how hot and muggy it will be there, but talcum powder would be very handy. Probably itch cream and desinex for diaper rash and bug bites.

Also, the thing I looked forward to so very much was being able to brush my teeth. Ten days without cleaning and ugh!

Heavy work gloves. Socks.

Head Lamps. If you have a dog, you'll have to walk it in the dark even if there is a curfew. I strapped two on ... one to see where I was going without tripping over debris and one set to flash in the back so I wouldn't get run over.

Chocolate. Someone sent me a chocolate bar all carefully wrapped up in plastic wrap. Sorry I don't recall who it was at the moment, but I will tell you that it came at just the right moment.