View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 04:43 AM
quiltingnewbie

Default Contemplating a New Machine

My current machine is a Brother Easy-to-Use sewing machine. DH bought it for me for Christmas so I could try quilting/sewing. He paid less than $50 for it, and I spent another $15 or so buying a walking foot for it. The idea was for me to learn how to use it, see if I really liked sewing and then move up to a better machine.

Well, it turns out I love sewing and quilting. I have three quilts and several small sewing projects under my belt. I really like the Brother. It isn't fancy but it certainly does its job. Unfortunately, the no-name walking foot I bought without knowing any better has literally been eating through the screw on my machine that holds the needle in. It still works, but not well -- when I'm using the walking foot, I have to stop every 8-12 inches to re-tighten it as it keeps juddering around and getting loose (and all the while building a pile of metal shavings as it continues to eat my machine).

A proper walking foot costs $30 or so, but since the entire machine only cost $50 DH now thinks maybe I should just go ahead and buy my nicer machine now. I don't even know where to start, and I'm hoping you all can help me narrow it down. My needs are:

1. Less than $1500
2. Heavy enough not to move around while I'm pushing a quilt through (my biggest complaint about my machine)
3. A relatively large throat
4. Accessories (walking foot, quilting foot, etc) either included or not too expensive.

Extras like a needle threader, automatic needle raise (is that what's it's called?) and the like are cool, but not required. I also don't need a machine with a million embroidery features, because I don't embroider (and am not really interested in starting).

What else should I be looking for? I plan to keep quilting and would love to learn to FMQ. I'm also making purses, clothes, etc. I've priced out some machines and Berninas look to rich for my blood; some Janomes look like they'd work and there's also an upgraded Brother. I'm just not sure how to choose among them.