View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 AM
SandyQuilter

Default Shashikko

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
I am interested in learning to do the shashiko quilting. I would love to hear from those who do this stitching: How hard is it to do? Can a person with arthritis do it? I cannot hand quilt due to my fingers not working well but I thought I might be able to do this. How do you trace a pattern? What supplies do you need? Thanks in advance for all the info you might offer me. I love this board!
Traditionally, this technique was in stitched in white thread (you can use pearl cotton) on a denser blue fabric that was hand dyed using varying shades of blue indigo. Now the thread comes in a variety of colors and fabric is available is colors also. If you can, look online at traditional fabric to understand the weight/density of the fabric. Don't use traditional cotton quilt fabrics as the weight is too light and the weave too dense. An embroidery needle is used because of the size of the thread. It's easy to do.

You can take a piece of transfer paper, place it transfer side to the right side of the fabric and trace the straight lines using a ruler as guide and a stylus to run over the lines instead of a pen. Please don't use the marking pens. When washed, the lines can come back permanently when the fabric is pressed.
It's fun and even with arthritis, you should be able to do it, as little pressure is required.
SandyQuilter