Old 05-23-2013, 07:53 PM
ArchaicArcane

Shelbie - Definitely true. The reproductions are almost not fair, because you don't expect them until you've seen one first, or heard about them.

For me, the give aways on those are:
  • The decals are usually "more". The older ones, even la Vencedora, the Lotus, etc are more understated than the new ones.
  • There's a plastic knob on the bed of the machine to drop the feed dogs
  • Often the case or cabinet it's in gives it away. They just don't seem as heavily built as the old ones.

Mom3 - Great adds!!

You know, I was driving into the city after I posted this, thinking the same things. "Ugh! I forgot the bobbin case! Ugh! the needle thread fabric!! " I used to take supplies with me, I don't anymore. What I usually do is first turn the machine by hand to make sure the timing isn't scary bad, then if there's thread and a bobbin there, I watch for the "twist" the machine will make when it locks the stitch.

In a good twist to the story, when I went into the city today, I scored a 1950 201-2 in excellent shape, even the wiring looks good. I was all ready for a bargaining point, and had none.

I've only had to look up one model as far as threading so far - Elna Supermatic. All of the rest I can usually fumble through.

Quilt Novice - Wait til the end! as mom3 has already pointed out, my morning rant did miss some things

Daylesewblessed - Ha!! Good call. I've done this. I looked at a featherweight on top of a table saw in some guy's back yard. Then there was the 201-3 on the sidewalk at about 11pm... I'm sure that didn't look suspicious or anything.

The other thing I like to have with me are some basic screwdrivers. I have a bad habit of having the car with me, instead of the truck when I find a good machine, and I sometimes have to disassemble things to get them home. Don't ever let anyone tell you that a Mustang has no storage space. Most Singer cabinets will come apart into many pieces with only a blade screwdriver.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 05-23-2013 at 07:55 PM.