Thread: Sears Kenmore
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 AM
path49

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Joe, I read with interest your idea to use sewing machine oil only on motor oil ports on this Kenmore. I have a Kenmore like this and plan to mech it soon. Do you know if sewing machine oil is safe to use on other machines in motor oil ports? I have a Featherweight that calls for Singer machine oil lubricant.

Also, on this Kenmore, how does one get into the inner workings? Is there a place to put a screwdriver and pry the top off, for instance? Is there a trick to get the handwheel off? I'm presuming there are gears to be greased behind it.

Thanks!
Cricket
Just pull up on the top....it just snaps into a couple clips. To get the hand wheel off, you have to loosen the motor bracket & push up on it. That loosens the bottom belt...which in turn also loosens the top belt (the one that's on the hand wheel). The side plate probably has 2 screws at the top....take those out & the top of the side will spring out. The bottom is just kinda tucked in the bottom. OK...now that everything is loose, you can pull the hand wheel & the side off. Pat