Thread: Sears Kenmore
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Joe, I read with interest your idea to use sewing machine oil only on motor oil ports on this Kenmore. I have a Kenmore like this and plan to mech it soon. Do you know if sewing machine oil is safe to use on other machines in motor oil ports? I have a Featherweight that calls for Singer machine oil lubricant.

Also, on this Kenmore, how does one get into the inner workings? Is there a place to put a screwdriver and pry the top off, for instance? Is there a trick to get the handwheel off? I'm presuming there are gears to be greased behind it.

Thanks!
Cricket
Cricket,

I use either Singer or the Alpha Sew sewing machine oil for the motors. Any real sewing machine oil will be good for those motors that use oil.
For Singer motors DO NOT USE OIL. Use only the older Singer amber or clear, Motor Lube in the tube ( it looks like petroleum jelly ) or petroleum jelly. I have a lot of the old lube, so that's what I use.

Pat gave you good info on popping the top off, but to just oil the motor, lay the machine on it's side and look for the little oil holes.
The machines I have, have a felt wick around the bearing on both ends. If it's as dry as mine were you can see it darken up as you feed the oil to it.

Joe