Old 05-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Linda - had a thought for your 'Jane club' - to keep people somewhat on track without pressuring anyone. I have 3 per week, which does work if you set aside the time for it but not always when 'life happens.' If the plan is to meet twice per month follow a 'modified' schedule - tell everyone to do at least one/week and move on rather than still being on week one or two when others are on week 8. Some weeks you may get all three done, sometimes only one or not. The reason you see a little of everything on this site now, is because we are all doing a bit of catching up while most of us are trying to stick to schedule or not fall too far behind by throwing in a current one as we play catchup! notice all the 'old-behind blocks I just posted!! When you get together, check out each other's blocks and give each other pointers on easier ways to complete one or what to avoid, pick out the fabrics you will be using for the next ones [this is one of my most time consuming parts!].

If you plan to spend a couple of hours together - sew or cut. I sometimes have put the 'parts' of blocks in those small 'snack size' ziploc bags so that I'm ready to go. This is especially helpful if you share fabrics - also a nice thing to do.

Once you have decided whether to go 'Civil War' - 30s - Kaffe - batik - specific color combo... realize you need only a small piece for each. Look up at my K-11 a couple of posts ago - mine is pink & Katybob made one that's in the last post. I used a complimentary fabric for the very center, but the rest of the print is one charm square! The least yardage you can buy most places is a FQ or 1/4yd although you do find the occasional shop willing to cut 1/8yd.
A couple of months ago I went on to ebay and purchased a couple of charm packs of civ war fabrics that had 3 squares per print. The charm square fabrics I used for K-11 I picked up at a LQS expecting more duplicate squares, but they typically only have one of each of 30-40 or so fabrics. The ones I got on ebay were from someone in Australia who basically rebagged the charm squares so there were more per pattern.

When you do get together have your friends dig into their own stashes and start trading a bit! a 9" square will be ample to complete any block.

On another note, I realized I never showed I13 - on schedule for Feb 10 and finished last week - I added the border around it as in the original. If you have the software it is one of the variations. As usual, I did not paper-piece. A small word of advice - take your time!! I actually had no problems and didnt realize until done this one has the max# of pieces - 53!!!

These are the cutting measurements I used: center square 1", triangles and sashing - one 2 3/4" square cut diagonally twice [so you have straight edge at outer side] and four pieces 1"x 1 7/8" ....dont measure and say oh that's not long enough - I made most of the interior smaller to add that outer strip. Sew short side of triangles to either side of two strips, sew other strips to either side of center square and then assemble.
Next round - to finish off mid square - 4 pieces 7/8" x 2 3/4" and 4 background squares 7/8"

Each of the outer sections - 1" print square surrounded by print triangles made by cutting a 2" square diagonally twice [in other words - for the four corners you must cut 4 1" print squares and 4 2" background squares]
For the side setting triangles on either side of the finished square with print set on point I cut 2 3" background squares twice diagonally - resulting in the eight sections that are on either side of the small squares. The very outside background corners just inside of the outer edge I used 2 - 1 3/4" squares cut once diagonallyFor the final border I cut a 1" strip and added it all the way around. Note: you will still end up trimming about 1/4" off.

just a sidenote...When I added it, I started with a piece of fabric that was 4" x 5" because I had gotten it from a friend and that was all I had left after cutting the middle. So I cut 4 pieces 1x5. When I had three sides on, the width measured 5 3/8" and I only had 5" width piece - but the final square is 5" so I simply centered it because that extra 3/8" got cut off anyway - remember if this happens to you - you have to center it so it doesnt come off one side!!

so - I am sorry too - most of you probably made this one already?? a Feb 10 block.... oh well
[ATTACH=CONFIG]415426[/ATTACH]you see the sashing pieces on the inside are not the same width - I was trying to make them proportionally wider as in the original, but once I had the center square finished I realized I wouldnt have enough room for that outer border if I continued to make it wider - the center on point section should measure 3 1/2" unfinished. If you want them the same size, you should take somewhat generous 1/4" seams off the center sashing between background triangles.
Gus
Attached Thumbnails i13dj.jpg  

Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 05-25-2013 at 10:33 AM.