Old 05-25-2013, 07:55 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

June MB is done!

The 4-H's are explained in the 4-H Pledge ....
I pledge
My Head to clearer thinking,
My Heart to greater loyalty,
My Hands to larger service,
My Health to better living,
For my club, my community, and my country.

The 4-H Motto is ... Learn To Do By Doing
So as you can see ... 4-H'ers get in there and do things!

Clubs can be formed for "any" subject ... so long as there are at least six members and two leaders. There's the traditional calf clubs, and crop clubs, sewing and cooking. Though the possibilities are endless. Just a few here in our area are .... photography, square dancing, dark light theatre, giant vegetable growing, veterinarian, marketing, environmental, electrical, tractor, maple syrup and on and on! Members ages are 9 thru 21.

Here's a little about 4-H history ... it started in the USA in 1901, and Canada followed in 1913
http://www.4-hontario.ca/about-4h/what-is-4h/history.aspx

OkSGlad ... Thanks for the start of ideas for that fabric. It's nice ... but a difficult one to work with for blocks. And thanks too, for the hera info. Will have to look for it. Does it work good once you have a sandwich made? Or more so for when piecing?

No, we never had IFYE here. Similar though is our Junior Farmers Association which will celebrate its 100 years next year. Interesting you mentioned IFYE, as my sister went to Indiana for an IFYE (or was it RYUSA?) conference, representing JF. And then a few years later, I went to Indiana, representing JF as well, but to the Hoosier Recreation Workshop. (any bells ringing GGal?) Thanks for the explanation of your Memorial and Veterans Days as I did not realize you had both.

Is your Memorial Day focused to the war dead, or anyone? We do not have a specific date for Memorial Services at the cemeteries and it is something that each cemetery does on their own. The one that most of my family are buried in is a small country cemetery and has a special service alternate years, the 1st Sunday of June. Some never have a dedicated service. Some every year. Many people make special efforts to visit and decorate their loved ones grave sites for Mother's and Father's Days. Some just do it "sometime". Some never go.

Not only was In Flanders Fields written by a countryman ... he was born and raised right here in Guelph (next city from me!). There's a museum dedicated to him in the home where he was born. A lovely little cottage sort of a house, with immaculate gardens. Thanks for the link ... I've never heard the poem put to music and what a wonderful song. We always had to recite it when we were in school. Wonder? if the kids do now?

Have a good trip tomorrow. It'll be a tiring trip ... a lot of driving and a time of rembrances. Take care, OKSGlad

Last edited by QuiltE; 05-25-2013 at 07:57 PM.