View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 07:06 AM
Friday1961

@Shelbie: your dream machine would be mine, too. You've designed a great sounding machine!

I don't understand modern machines. I received the Brother Innov'is 450Q for Christmas. It has some nice features--fancy stitches, needle returns, needle threading, thread cutting, etc. But the needle is hard to thread manually; you can hardly get to it, it's so far below the curve of the upper part of the machine. Putting on the walking foot requires a screwdriver. And to fill the bobbin I have to take it out, put it on an old fashioned bobbin filler, and rethread the machine to fill it. On my old -- and much maligned Singer Touch 'n Sew, I fill the bobbin right in place! No rethreading my machine, no taking the bobbin out and replacing it. Why didn't Brother take advantage of this neat trick? Is it patented by Singer? Also, I can attach the walking foot without using a screwdriver; I just loosen a thumb screw. Singer had many forward thinking ideas years ago that today's machines are not taking advantage of.

Sometimes new is not necessarily better, is all I'm saying!